Wednesday, 27 January 2016

Slapped me back to life

"Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him" - Proverbs 22:15 (KJV).

In my early years of adolescence, I was that stubborn kid but it was very subtle. I was the kid that will be telling you no with a smiling face and you wouldn't even realise I've just said no. As a result, a lot of people didn't notice this trait. I think I have changed now-  something in my heart tells me so and I believe it.




Anyhoo, I digress.
I will never forget one scenario that made me think twice about this stubbornness issue; in fact I had to sit the stubbornness down and ask it "how market"?

It was one Saturday like that, I was in SS1 (Grade 10 for all my abroad folks) I think and I was just at home chilaxxing and savouring my new found love in romance novels (don't judge me). I was on my own oh, not looking for anyone's trouble when my elder sister remembered that the wick for the kerosene stove have finished and it was me that was going to buy it. Naturally, I sweetly told her that I wasn't going to buy it as I hadn't taken my bath yet and besides I was reading my novel.
My sister then told me that she was waiting for me as she needed it to cook food for my mum.
I was like "na so, come and remove my legs let me see".

Anyway, let's say like 30 minutes later, my mum started calling my name. Let me put it at this point that I had been giving her trouble this whole week and I had been going scot-free. However, that day was the day of judgement.

When I got to where my mum was, she was like - Why haven't you gone to buy the wick? She said it so calmly, I should have known something was wrong.
However, my mind didn't even go there, I just started ranting...
"Mummy I haven't taken my bath so I cannot go out and ...."

My brethren, after that first line, the next place I saw myself was were they sold the stove wick. Till today, I don't know how I got to the place and came back in record time but something in my mind tells me it was the slap that landed on my face. Jesus, I'm not even kidding you, that was the first time my mum slapped me and trust me that was the last time because teleportation is not something you want to be experiencing everyday. When I came back was when I noticed water running down my cheeks, I hadn't even realized the slap made me cry.

I think the slap removed the stubbornness to a great deal. They didn't even call me two times from that day on. Once I just hear the first syllable of my name, I'm already there.

Side note: If you are an African kid and your parents are angry with you, don't let them get close to you. Run. It's a trap...

Happy New year folks.
Hugs & kisses. 
Xoxo Betty :)

2 comments:

  1. I think I need to give you more of that slap! Ps your still a stubborn goat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I recognize that slap anywhere I see it. You never see it coming until it gets to you and boy o boy you'll be restored to default setting.

    ReplyDelete

My baby needs to grow, feed it with your comments!!!